September 22, 2016
Peanut and tree nut allergies
This year, Van Antwerp Middle School has a number of students with
serious allergies to peanuts or tree nuts which require attention from the
Van Antwerp school community, faculty, staff, students and families to
facilitate lunch and snacks. The school is instituting building-wide
procedures to help lessen the possibility of allergic reactions by those
with peanut or tree nut allergies.
- Let the school know if your child requires a peanut and tree nut or
allergen (other than nut) free lunch table.
- Remind your child that teachers will be asking that anyone eating in
a classroom wipe down their desk after eating.
- Remind your child not to throw food, play with food or make an undue
mess when eating.
- When sending your child with lunch or snack from home, please
include a small piece of paper or post-it with your childâ€™s lunch that
simply says "nut freeâ€� if youâ€™ve made an effort to avoid peanut or tree
- Be extra vigilant about the above reminders during field trips when
snacking and sharing food is more common.
Resources and Information
List of Nut-Free
Tree Nut Sticker
Page - to mark a student's lunch as peanut and tree nut free